The Protocol Converter, a device converts one protocol into other protocol, is ideal for situations where data from monitored equipment is incompatible with the protocols used by the building management system (BMS) or network management system (NMS), such as in cases where legacy monitoring systems are present. The ability of the protocol converter to accept up to 1,024 inputs over 32 modules means flexible integration with multiple alarm and management systems using one simple device. Protocol converters are widely used in process or industrial automation, building automation, substation automation, automatic meter reading and vehicle automation applications.
Protocol converters are normally used with switches, PCIe network cards and fiber media converters, CWDM and DWDM equipment, PDH multiplexers etc. Protocol converter series may put into action the actual transformation in between single E1 protocol port as well as protocol ports of V.35, V.24, RS232 or Ethernet within the tranny system; it may be thoroughly utilized in numerous being able to access problems with regard to providers as well as commercial clients, for example DDN, ATM, as well as for that transformation in between router and E1 port, or even the actual occasion exactly where Ethernet tend to be interconnected from divided internet websites through SDH or even additional tranny gear.
1. Protocol converter can offer local, remote loop-back functions, commanded remote device loop-back as well as pseudo-random code testing perform; loop-back perform may be used without influence on normal network data conversation and can not really lead to the actual meltdown of network;
2. E1 port may support 120ohm/75 ohm opposition concurrently;
3. V.24 port may assistance a rate of 64K or 128K (optional), and may carry out tranny from any kind of specific time-slot within E1 port; also it can function under DTE and DCE modes;
4. V.35 user port may support N*64K (N=1~32) adaptive rate, and may assistance inner, exterior and slave clock modes, in order to end up being designed in order to numerous programs; also it can function under DTE and DCE modes;
5. RS232 port may assistance the actual a good adaptive rate lower than 115.2K;
6. Ethernet port may assistance N*64K (N=1~32) adjustable rate, and may assistance four channels of Switched Ethernet ports and may end up being channel-isolated; Ethernet mode may assistance 10M/100M semi-duplex as well as 10/100M full-duplex modes as well as adaptive mode (optional), as well as assistance VLAN protocol;
7. Ethernet protocol convertor may identify the actual delivering as well as getting information caution associated with E1 port instantly, as well as switch off Ethernet function instantly.
There are basically two types of protocol converter which are listed below.
1. Software Protocol Converters
2. Hardware Protocol Converters
Some of the most popular industrial automation protocols are DF-1, CAN (Controller Area Network), RS232 Converter, RS422 Converter, ControlNet, DeviceNet, HostLink Protocol, Profibus, Modbus, Honeywell SDS, HART Protocol, EtherNet/IP etc. And some Industrial control system protocols like MTConnect, OPC, OPC UA. Select the converter that best matches your application and communication setup, keeping in mind three key features:
- Number of connections—some converters support single connections, while others provide as many as 32 multiple connections with multiple serial ports.
- Baud rate—we have seen converters with baud rates as high as 921kbaud. Converters with lower baud rates are less expensive, but their performance is slower.
- Connectivity protocol—the converter must support the protocol used by your network, either TTL serial, RS-232, RS-422, or RS-485.
Consider the number of connections, baud rate and connectivity protocol, you can finally buy a protocol converter meet your applications.